Monday, June 16, 2008

Why does no one ask me which way is North?

I have some nifty hiking sticks, which I use regularly. They help me balance, and they are a great way to start a conversation with strangers. One has a compass in it, but no one ever asks me where North is – or any other compass direction either.

I don't actively start conversations with strangers - I would feel odd doing that - but many people see the hiking sticks and start up a conversation about them with me. It's an odd thing, I rarely go a day without someone starting “the stick conversation” with me.

So have people given up on the age-old path-finding method of always knowing where North is? Or do people already know, and don't need to ask? Or has the proliferation of man-made objects in our world made knowing the basic compass directions unnecessary?

I always have a good idea where North is, but when it's cloudy it's sometimes hard to tell, so I've actually used my compass in urban Vancouver.

I'm curious enough that I may actually ask people about this when they start “the stick conversation” with me. Strangers be warned, I will ask questions back now if you start one with me! :)

No comments: