Friday, November 14, 2008

Did it bounce or did it sink?

When you have an email address for someone (that you haven't sent an email to in a long time) and you try to use it and it doesn't work... did it bounce because the email address doesn't exist anymore? Or did the owner of the email address tag you as a spammer to get rid of you? Did your message sink into the ether never to be seen by anyone?

How do you tell? How can I find out?

I don't recall pegging them as spammers... but they claim the email address doesn't work anymore. I have been trying to get rid of the slush, so I might have tagged them as a spammer. They've used another email avenue to contact me, but I don't really feel like responding using that one.

So I could tag one of my own email addresses as a spammer in one of my other accounts (I have 6 email addresses and counting now... I don't want to go on about it, they just mushroomed, and are a current source of clutter in my life.) But I don't want any of my emails being pegged as a spammer anywhere. But I don't really know what happens when your address has been pegged as a spammer. How much do I want to find out?

Well, I guess the real question is, do I want to respond to this person who sends only yearly Xmas spam - part of the message being "I'm too busy to read any of your email, so don't send me any email replies from this Xmas greeting. You bastards." OK, so the bastards part isn't explicitly stated, but it is implied.

Well, when I put it that way, why am I even bothering to think about it? If I did peg them as a spammer: Sink baby, sink. If they typed the wrong address: YP (your problem)

No comments: