Friday, July 25, 2008

What input device should I use?

My new MacBook is much easier to work with than I expected it to be! But now I have so many choices of keyboard and mouse pointers, what should I do?

My wrist started hurting after using the touch pad for the mouse movements, so I have bought a bluetooth mouse from Logitech. When I turned the mouse on I clicked on the symbol in the upper right hand corner of the screen (with the touchpad) that had the same symbol as on the mouse, the MacBook found the mouse. It was a brief period of hand shaking, and the mouse was off and running. No need for any opening of CDs for the software etc. etc.

When I put my new MacBook in my regular work area, I have a keyboard that I use for my PCs at an ergonomically good position. I plugged it in to one of the USB ports on the MacBook. The MacBook saw this as a foreign object that was likely a keyboard and I was guided though about a 10 second process to identify the keys to the left and right of the two shift keys and viola, my MacBook will work with my keyboard!

(OK, previous post about not having a spelling correction facility in this TextEdit program was wrong... I just used it with the right-mouse button on an underlined-in-red word and got the expected variety of possible words I meant to use... I guess the unique 3 finger mechanics of using the touchpad for the right button click was what had confused me... I am a right mouse button addict, and I guess Apple is new to the concept.)

So now the problem is... there are so many other interesting keys on the MacBook, but should I be exploring them, or doing something useful? Would exploring those keys actually be "doing something useful"?

From the looks of it, the "command" key on the MacBook is just like the flying windows key on the PC keyboard ... which I have dug out and removed due to it's annoying way of booting me out of video games when I accidentally hit it. This may be a concern.

Hmm, yes, there are some other interesting keys I've never seen before, but the MacBook is now up at a good viewing height, not a keyboard height. I guess this means a retreat to the comfy chair where I can use it in my lap! This is an exciting thing for me because my old Dell laptop has a touchy keyboard that doesn't work when you move the laptop off it's flat desktop surface... not really a laptop at all anymore, part of the reason I'm abandoning it!

Such an adventure!

No comments: