Sunday, September 21, 2008

Why are people queueing behind me?

We typically do food shopping at Granville Island Public Market on the weekends after we get as much as we can from our West End Farmer's Market. This weekend it was especially busy at Granville Island. There were a lot of people, mostly milling about, a few were purchasing items, but there were a lot of tourists taking pictures of us doing our grocery shopping, as there oddly often are.

But why were people constantly forming queues behind me?

When we do our shopping in the Public Market my spouse and I typically discus and decide on what needs to be purchased at the various vendors. Then the spouse typically requests the items and handles the transaction and I move to the side to get out of the way.

This weekend I did my regular getting out of the way maneuver, but I noticed every time I found a place out of the way to stand, I found I was standing in a crowd again. Now it is typical to find ourselves in a crowd when we're together at a vendor discussing what to get... people see others purchasing and they come up to see what all the excitement is about. Or something. But when I'm standing beside a pole, or in the middle of a walking area without any vendors, why would I find myself in a crowd?

Then I figured it out. Everyone is queueing behind me! I'm not standing in a line. There is no one in front of me, but these people are lining up behind me! I was standing outside in front of the bakery, just under the awning to stay out of the rain, and people came and stood in a line behind me! I moved to the side and the crowd milled around and looked confused. Then they slowly dispersed.

There is a whole group of tourists who are queue addicts in Vancouver right now! And they all want to stand behind me. I must look like I'm from around here and must know what I'm lining up for. But I'm not lining up for anything!

This is all I can think up for this odd group behaviour I've observed. Anyone else have any ideas?

No comments: