Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why is transferring a call so difficult?

Every office has a different phone system, and every phone system is different, but no matter where you are, transferring a call is always fraught with peril.

This time I think I've run into the ultimate in silliness. Transferring a call with this phone system means you need to hit transfer, 3 numbers, # and 6... and the extension you want to transfer the call to! Er, well, that's a probably... I don't think I've mastered that yet, I may have sent someone off into oblivion! Why do the designers of phone systems make it so difficult?

This morning I started this year's round of volunteering with the Vancouver International Writers and Readers Festival. I'm working in the office doing reception on Thursdays. There's not much to do just yet, the festival happens October 21-26 and tickets go on sale to the public next Monday, so they're still warming up.

So far I've done some envelope addressing and stuffing, some shredding, and some alphabetization... and I've handled one call... badly. Most calls go directly to the right people, but if the caller doesn't know the extension, I need to pick up the call and transfer it. I so wish another call had come in so I could have redeemed myself! Everyone in the office says they have problems with the phone system too, so I shouldn't feel bad, but it is annoying.

Next Thursday I will need to study those instructions again! I am always amazed at the ability of receptionists to handle transferring phone calls - maybe the designers of the phone systems are receptionists who like amazing others with their skill and calm management of phone calls. I'll bet that's why it's so difficult, it's a badge of honour if you can figure it out!

No comments: